Unlike many yogurt cheesecakes, this is made with only yogurt without the addition of cream cheese. In order to have the best consistency you’ll need to plan ahead and drain the yogurt overnight before making the filling.
Makes one 10-inch tart, about 8 servings
SWEET PASTRY DOUGH
1 cup/4.5 ounces/135 grams unbleached all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
4 tablespoons/2 ounces unsalted butter, cold, cut into 10 pieces
1 large egg
YOGURT FILLING AND GARNISH
1 quart low-fat yogurt drained overnight to 500 grams
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon finely ground Mexican cinnamon
1 tablespoon each very green pistachios and pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Set a rack in the lowest level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- For the dough, combine the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse to mix. Add the butter and pulse repeatedly until finely mixed in. Add the egg and pulse until the dough starts to form a ball. Invert to a floured work surface and roll the dough to fit a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- For the filling, whisk the yogurt with the sugar and whisk in the eggs one at a time, but avoid over mixing. Stir in the vanilla and cinnamon, and then pour into the tart crust.
- Bake the tart until the crust is golden and the filling is set about 25 to 35 minutes. Cool on a rack.
- To serve, unmold to a platter and scatter the pistachios and pomegranate seeds on the cooled filling. Gently press them in so that they don’t roll off when you serve the tart.