I've always loved "before and after" photos and though I don't think any professional photographers will be green with envy about the following ones, they sure do the trick for me. But before the photos, more instructions:
Put 100 grams of your starter from the previous step into a 1-quart plastic container; stir in 100 grams distilled or spring water and 100 grams unbleached bread flour:
I fed the starter in these containers late last night. This is what I found early this morning:
The starter increased more than 300% over its original bulk. After I took the photo I stirred down the starter. If all goes well it's properly acidulated, indicated by fine bubbles on the surface. I just checked and it's starting to bubble.
It's exactly 5 days since the initial mixing of the dark rye, water, malt syrup, and salt. Tomorrow we'll make a dough using the starter and see how it fares.