Cranberry Oatmeal Bars
These moist, chewy bars are a perfect snack. The dried cranberries add a tangy note that makes them really satisfying.
Makes twenty-four 2-inch bars
3 cups rolled oats (regular oatmeal)
1 cup all-purpose flour (spoon flour into dry-measure cup and level off)
1 cup pecan pieces, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
One 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan, sprayed with vegetable cooking spray and lined, bottom and sides, with parchment or foil, lightly sprayed
- Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Stir the oatmeal, flour, pecans, cranberries, and baking soda together in a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar with a large rubber spatula. Beat in the egg, then the applesauce, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Stir in the dry ingredients and scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top.
- Bake the bars for about 25 minutes, or until they are firm when pressed with a fingertip.
- Cool in the pan on a rack.
- Invert to a cutting board and peel off the paper.
- Use a ruler to cut into 2-inch bars.
Storage: Keep the bars between sheets of wax paper in a tin or plastic container with a tight-fitting cover.