Whole Wheat Walnut Brownies Adapted from Hiltl, Zurich’s vegetarian restaurant
Makes twenty four 2-inch brownies
12 ounces/3 sticks/360 grams unsalted butter
18 ounces/500 grams semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
5 large eggs
Pinch of fine sea salt
20 ounces/2 1/2 cups packed/540 grams light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10 ounces/1 1/2 cups/300 grams walnut pieces, coarsely chopped
12 ounces/2 2/3 cups/360 grams whole wheat flour
One 9- x 13- x 2-inch pan, lined with buttered foil
- Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, letting the butter get hot. Off heat, stir in the chocolate until smooth.
- Whip the eggs with the salt, brown sugar, and vanilla until light.
- Fold in the chocolate mixture, followed by the walnuts and flour.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the brownies until slightly firm but still soft in the center, about 35 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a rack and cut into 2-inch squares.
- Brownies keep well in a tin for several days.