Taralli Dolci di Pasqua - Sweet Easter Taralli
This is a great traditional cookie. This is loosely based on a recipe shared by Marie Ciampi.
Makes 16 cookies
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners' sugar
4 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Multi-colored nonpareils, optional
3 cookie sheets or jelly roll pans lined with parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set racks in upper and lower thirds.
- To make the dough, combine the flour and baking powder, stirring well to mix.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then add remaining ingredients to the eggs in order. Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead lightly to mix. Separate into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece into an 8-inch rope, then form each rope into a circle. Place 5 or 6 cookies on each pan.
- Bake the taralli until puffed and deep golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on racks.
- To make the icing, combine all ingredients in a saucepan and heat gently until lukewarm. Brush over the tops of the cooled cookies. Sprinkle with multi-colored nonpareils, if using.