Basler Leckerli - Little Basel "Yummies
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup honey
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons Kirsch
1/2 cup finely chopped candied orange peel, about 3 ounces
1 1/2 cups unblanched almonds, about 8 ounces, finely chopped, but not ground
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
One 10 1/2- x 15 1/2- x 1-inch jelly roll pan lined with buttered foil
- Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, spices, baking powder and soda in a bowl and stir well to mix.
- Combine honey and sugar in a saucepan and place over low heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in Kirsch, candied peel and almonds. Stir in flour mixture and allow dough to cool 5 minutes.
- Scrape dough onto prepared pan and using floured palm of hand, press dough down to fill pan evenly.
- Place pan in oven and immediately lower temperature to 325 degrees. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until well risen and firm, but not dry or hard. Cool on a rack.
- To finish Leckerli, invert to a cutting board and remove foil. Invert to a rack.
- To make glaze, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat and stir occasionally until syrup comes to a boil. Boil for about 10 seconds, until syrup thickens slightly, then remove from heat and add confectioners' sugar. Stir well to mix and quickly brush hot glaze on baked dough, brushing repeatedly, so that the glaze crystallizes and whitens.
- Allow glaze to set for about 10 minutes, then slide to cutting board and trim edges of dough.
- Cut into 1 1/2- x 2-inch rectangles. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature.