Another wonderful recipe from Chef Fredi Nussbaum of the Hotel Storchen Zurich…
Makes one 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan, about twenty-four 2-inch square brownies
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour (spoon flour into dry-measure cup and level off)
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups lightly toasted walnut pieces, coarsely chopped
One 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan buttered and lined with buttered parchment or foil
- Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter sizzles and is very hot. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate. Swirl pan to submerge chocolate and wait a couple of minutes for chocolate to melt. Whisk smooth, and then whisk in the brown sugar.
- Whisk the sugar and flour together in a mixing bowl and whisk in 2 of the eggs smoothly. Whisk in the remaining 2 eggs followed by the salt and vanilla. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the chocolate mixture, then the walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 40 minutes, until top has formed a shiny crust and batter is moderately firm. Cool in pan on a rack. Wrap pan in plastic wrap and keep at room temperature or refrigerated until next day to make cutting easier.
- To cut brownies, unmold onto a cutting board, remove paper and replace with another cutting board. Turn right side up and trim away edges. Cut brownies into 2-inch squares.