This fruit-filled version of a financier is mixed using the high-ratio method for greater ease.
3/4 cup ground almonds (or almond flour)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 large egg whites
1 tablespoon rum
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pint blueberries or raspberries
Sliced almonds, for finishing
Nine 3 3/4-inch or 4-inch tart pans, coated with non-stick spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, place ground almonds, flour, sugar and lemon zest. Mix until combined.
- Add butter and continue beating for two minutes.
- Stir rum and vanilla into egg whites, then add to flour mixture in two additions. Beat for 2 minutes after each addition, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Fill each pan with 2 ounces of batter, then sprinkle with berries and sliced almonds.
- Bake 35 minutes. Unmold and serve with whipped cream and/or a fruit sauce or compote.